Explore the basics of tree pruning and care with Laura Ralph, ISA Certified Arborist and owner of Alive and Well Organic Gardening.Â Learn how to prune with clear objectives and an understanding of how trees will respond to pruning cuts.Â Pruning of both fruit trees and ornamentals will be discussed.Â Â After an indoor presentation, participants will look at pruning examples in the garden. Â We will look at pruning young trees at the Strathcona Community Centre and more mature trees at Cottonwood Community Garden. Please dress appropriately for the weather!
Topics covered include:
– Â Â Â Training of young trees for structural soundness and desired tree form
– Â Â Â Pruning to keep trees healthy and encourage productive fruiting wood
– Â Â Â Response to different types of pruning cuts
– Â Â Â How to direct growth properly with strategic cuts
– Â Â Â Where to make cuts so trees can compartmentalize wounds most effectively
– Â Â Â Proper planting techniques
– Â Â Â Effects of timing of pruning
– Â Â Â General tree care recommendations
Workshop Date:Â Saturday, February 18, 2012
Time:Â 1:00 – 4:30
Location:Â Strathcona Community Centre, Activity Room – 601 Keefer St, Vancouver
To register:Â http://treepruning.eventbrite.ca
We’re happy to offer this workshop at a discounted rate as part of the Urban Farming Workshop Series sponsored by Vancity and with support from the Strathcona Community Centre.